Salary Structure

How Much Does Uber Pay Car Owners in Nigeria? (2023)

In recent years, technology has revolutionized the transportation industry, giving rise to the phenomenon of ride-hailing services. Uber, a globally recognized platform, has made significant inroads into Nigeria, providing an excellent opportunity for individuals to supplement their income by becoming Uber drivers. In this blog post, we’ll explore the earning potential, requirements, and steps to join Uber in Nigeria.

Earning Potential with Uber:

Uber offers two ways for individuals to earn – as partners or solo drivers. Partners are car owners who enlist drivers to operate on their behalf. Regardless of the choice, Uber drivers receive 75% of their weekly earnings, with the remaining 25% covering app maintenance and taxes. On average, Uber partners can make up to N100,000 per week, contingent on various factors.

Factors Influencing Earnings:

Several factors determine how much an Uber driver can earn each week in Nigeria:

  1. Location: Drivers in high-demand areas like Lagos tend to earn more than those in other regions.
  2. Number of Trips: More trips equate to higher earnings, making it crucial for drivers to stay active.
  3. Distance Traveled: Longer trips contribute to increased earnings compared to shorter ones.
  4. Surge Pricing: Earnings can spike during peak hours or rush periods when demand is high.

Becoming an Uber Driver in Nigeria:

To embark on your journey as an Uber driver in Nigeria, you must meet specific requirements:

  1. Possess a valid driving license.
  2. Be at least 21 years old.

Follow these steps to register with Uber:

  1. Conduct a vehicle inspection at an Uber partner inspection center (cost: N2,000).
  2. Gather necessary documents (driver’s license, vehicle inspection report, insurance, ID card, roadworthiness certificate, and a passport photo).
  3. Sign up as a driver on the Uber platform.
  4. Complete the Uber onboarding process, ensuring all qualifications and requirements are met.
  5. Undergo a background check covering documents, vehicle records, criminal history, and driving record.

Car Requirements for Uber in Nigeria:

Uber has specific criteria for cars used in their service:

  1. Manufactured after the year 2000.
  2. Four-door sedan.
  3. Excellent aesthetic and working condition.
  4. Capacity to carry at least four passengers.
  5. Working air conditioning, power windows, and radio.

Cars ineligible for Uber services include those with two doors, full-size vans/trucks, government-owned vehicles, taxies, marked cars, and salvaged vehicles.

Recommended Cars for Uber in Nigeria:

While there is no specific make of vehicle required, it’s advisable to choose a car with excellent fuel economy to maximize income. Uber accepts various models, including Acura, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Geely, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jeep, Kia, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen.


Becoming an Uber driver in Nigeria is a viable option for those seeking additional income. By understanding the earning structure, meeting requirements, and selecting a suitable vehicle, individuals can tap into the opportunities offered by this innovative ride-hailing platform. Whether you’re a car owner looking for a partner or an independent driver, Uber provides a flexible and potentially lucrative avenue to boost your financial standing.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button