NIMASA, the Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency, stands as a pivotal government agency regulating and enforcing foreign and local trade in Nigeria. Established in August 2006 by the National Maritime Authority (NMA) and the Joint Maritime Labour Industrial Council (JMLIC), NIMASA plays a crucial role in ensuring maritime safety and adherence to regulations. This article delves into NIMASA’s salary structure, functions, and the requirements for potential job applicants.
NIMASA Salary Structure:
NIMASA adopts the Consolidated Research and Allied Institutes Salary Structure (CONRAISS) to determine its staff salaries. The salary is based on years of experience and grade level in the civil service. Here is an overview of the salary structure:
- Entry-level Salary:
- Monthly: 100,000 to 150,000 Naira
- Annual: 1.2 million to 1.8 million Naira
- Grade Level 7:
- Monthly: 90,000 Naira
- Annual: 1 million Naira
- Grade Level 8:
- Monthly: 103,988 Naira
- Annual: 1,247,854 million Naira
Functions of NIMASA:
NIMASA performs several critical functions, including:
- Regulating and supervising seafarers and shipping licenses certification.
- Enhancing regulatory and shipping matters related to merchant and seafarers’ shipping.
- Instituting safety standards and organizing maritime training for officers.
- Providing rescue services and maritime search when required.
- Regulating safety during ship construction.
- Conducting air surveillance and coastal security.
- Preventing maritime pollution.
- Ensuring maximum security in water territories.
- Overseeing all duties related to ports and flag states.
- Promoting the development of local capacity in ship supervision, ownership, and construction.
Job Requirements at NIMASA:
For individuals aspiring to work at NIMASA, specific requirements must be met, including:
- A degree or equivalent in engineering registrable with the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN).
- Current medical fitness certificates and valid certificates.
- Certificate of Competency (Engineering) from a recognized university, with at least eighteen (18) years of post-graduate professional experience.
- Possession of HND, B.Sc, NCE, or OND from a recognized institution.
- Additional certificates, whether postgraduate or professional, are beneficial.
- Certificate of Discharge/Exemption from NYSC.
- Applicants must be under the age of 35.
- Proficiency in computer usage.
- National Diploma (ND) from a recognized institution or equivalent qualifications.
- West African School Certificate (WAEC) or Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSSC) with specific credit requirements.
NIMASA’s role in regulating and ensuring maritime safety in Nigeria is significant, and individuals interested in joining the agency should carefully consider the outlined salary structure and job requirements. As the agency continues to evolve, prospective applicants should stay informed about any changes in the salary structure or additional requirements imposed by NIMASA.