Salary Structure

Mechanical Engineering Salary in Nigeria

Embarking on a career in mechanical engineering is a promising journey that not only offers excitement and adventure but also ensures a lucrative future. In Nigeria, mechanical engineers play a crucial role in developing, designing, and creating power-producing machines such as generators, turbines, and engines. If you’re considering a path in mechanical engineering, this blog post will provide you with valuable insights into the profession, shedding light on salaries, professional experiences, and the overall landscape of the field.

Overview of Mechanical Engineering in Nigeria

Mechanical engineers in Nigeria enjoy a dynamic work environment, engaging in the invention of mechanical devices and the manufacturing of automobiles. The average salary for a mechanical engineer in Nigeria is approximately ₦302,000, with variations based on factors such as gender, experience, education, professional level, and the employing company. The median salary stands at ₦274,000, indicating that half of mechanical engineers earn more, while the other half earns less.

Salary Growth and Bonuses for Mechanical Engineers

Notably, there’s a noticeable 11% increase in mechanical engineer salaries in Nigeria after 19 months of employment. However, bonuses and incentives are not guaranteed, with 51% of mechanical engineers reporting no additional income. Of the remaining 49%, some received bonuses ranging from 3% to 5% of their annual salary.

Professional Experience and Salary Levels

Professional experience significantly influences the salary of mechanical engineers in Nigeria:

  • 0 to 2 years of experience: ₦178,000
  • 2 to 5 years of experience: ₦239,000 (34% increase)
  • 5 to 10 years of experience: ₦311,000 (30% increase)
  • 10 to 15 years of experience: ₦376,000
  • More than 15 years of experience: ₦411,000

Gender Disparities in Salary

While gender should not affect salary, there is a noticeable 12% difference in average salaries between male and female mechanical engineers in Nigeria. On average, males earn ₦324,000, while females earn ₦288,000.

Responsibilities of Mechanical Engineers

Mechanical engineers play a pivotal role in the product development cycle, designing systems and components, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and making necessary modifications. They are also responsible for budget estimations, evaluation of designs, and ensuring the safety and reliability of the final product.


What is the average salary for entry-level mechanical engineers in Nigeria?

Entry-level mechanical engineers in Nigeria typically earn between NGN 80,000 to NGN 150,000 per month, depending on factors like location, industry, and qualifications.

What is the salary range for experienced mechanical engineers in Nigeria?

Experienced mechanical engineers in Nigeria can earn significantly higher salaries, ranging from NGN 200,000 to NGN 500,000 per month. Those with specialized skills or working in industries like oil and gas may command even higher salaries.

Do mechanical engineers working in specific industries earn higher salaries in Nigeria?

Yes, mechanical engineers working in industries such as oil and gas, manufacturing, and construction tend to earn higher salaries compared to those in other sectors. Salaries in these industries can vary widely based on the level of experience, responsibilities, and location.

Are there opportunities for salary growth in the field of mechanical engineering in Nigeria?

Yes, there are ample opportunities for salary growth in mechanical engineering in Nigeria. With experience, additional certifications, and advanced degrees, mechanical engineers can qualify for higher-paying positions such as project managers, senior engineers, or consultants, leading to increased earning potential.

What factors influence the salary of mechanical engineers in Nigeria?

Several factors influence the salary of mechanical engineers in Nigeria, including years of experience, level of education, industry specialization, geographic location (urban areas tend to offer higher salaries), company size, and the current economic climate. Additionally, specialized skills in areas such as CAD/CAM, HVAC, or robotics can also impact salary levels positively.


Choosing a career in mechanical engineering in Nigeria opens doors to a dynamic and rewarding profession. The salary ranges and growth potential make it an attractive field for aspiring engineers. As you embark on this journey, consider the factors that influence salaries and the exciting responsibilities that come with being a mechanical engineer in Nigeria.

Also Read: Nurses’ Salary in Nigeria

Leave a Reply

Back to top button